½ cup Sugar
1 cup Plain Flour
1 teaspoon Baking Powder
¼ teaspoon Salt
375g Mixed Glace Fruit (pineapple, pears, peaches, apricots, ginger)
125g mixed red and green Glace Cherries
500g Shelled whole nuts (almonds, brazils, pecans, walnuts)
1/3 cup Orange liqueur or Brandy
1. Grease 2 loaf tins and line the base and sides with baking paper.
2. In a small bowl, beat Eggs and Sugar.
3. Into a large bowl, sift Flour, Baking Powder and Salt.
4. With kitchen scissors dipped in hot water, cut Glace Fruit into pieces about the same size as Cherries.
5. Add the chopped fruit, Cherries and Raisins to the dry ingredients and stir well to coat with Flour.
6. Stir in egg mixture and nuts and mix thoroughly.
7. Place mixture into the prepared tins, pushing it well into the corners.
8. Bake in a 150 degree oven for 1 ¼ hours. Remove from oven and drizzle with Liqueur or Brandy.
9. Cool in the tins, then wrap in foil and store in the refrigerator.
Alternatively ~ Instead of purchasing all the fruit and nuts separately, a more economical 1kg bag of already prepared fruit and nut mix may be obtained from the health food store and add what you like to this.