8 Cooking Apples
1/3 Cup Water
Pinch Ground Cloves
Pinch Ground Cinnamon
1 Teaspoon of Cornflour mixed with 2 Teaspoons of Water
A little milk for sticking the pastry together
1. Peel, core and slice apples into a microwave-able bowl.
2. Add sugar and 1/3 cup of water and cook on high for 8minutes.
3. Mix in cloves and cinnamon and cornflour mix until the moisture is thickened slightly.
4. Knead the dough lightly on a floured board and break it into two lumps (one slightly bigger than the other).
5. Roll out the largest lump of dough and line a large greased pie dish with it.
6. Add the apples to the pie dish and then roll out the rest of the dough to cover the apples.
7. Using a little milk, brush around the edges and then apply the top to the apples, crimping it down with a fork or spoon. Brush the top of the pie with remaining milk.
8. Cook in a very hot oven (220 C) for 15 minutes.
9. Serve hot with whipped cream or custard.
Delicious Short Crust Pastry
2 cups Self Raising Flour
2 teaspoons Cornflour
½ cup (125gr) Butter
1 Egg, lightly beaten
Juice of 1 Lemon
1. Sift flour, cornflour and salt together into a bowl, add the butter and rub in with the fintertips, lifting hands to aerate, until crumbly.
2. Mix in egg and lemonjuice and only add water to make a stiff dough.
3. Wrap in plastic and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
4. Roll out on a floured surface.
There is enough to make on 25cm covered pie plus one 20cm blind shell.
This is perfect for Apple Pie!